Friday, March 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Bread

Its been a little while since I baked a new bread recipe, so I thought it was long overdue that I try another one. I have never made a wheat bread so I thought it was a good as time as ever to give it a try. It smelled great while rising, cooking and cooling and tasted even better. 

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and combine into a cohesive dough. Knead until a lively dough is formed.

Baking Tip: Using molasses will yield a dark loaf. Honey will be a lighter, milder loaf. Maple syrup will yield a loaf similar to honey but with a maple taste.



Here's the dough after kneading.


Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow to rise for 1 - 2 hours. It may not double in size.


I use a shower cap to cover the bowl. This makes a nice tight seal and is reusable. Give it a try.


The dough after rising.


Roll the dough into a 8" log and place in a 4.5" x 8.5" bread pan and allow to rise so the center is 1" above the edge of the pan. Bake at 350F for 35 - 40 minutes. 20 minutes through, tent the bread with aluminum foil.


The finished loaf. Yum.


Ingredients

1 cup of milk
.25 cups of vegetable oil
.25 cups of molasses
3.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 package of dry active yeast
1.25 teaspoons of salt

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see the shower cap we got put to good use. :)

    ReplyDelete