Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Crock Pot Chili

I have always enjoyed a good bowl of chili and wanted to make it myself a few months ago. Over that time I have made this easy recipe which always turns out wonderful. It requires little hands on time in the beginning and no supervision when cooking, though occasional stirrings do help. 


Add all ingredients into the crock pot. These ingredients are listed at the end of the post. I used to brown the  meat before adding it to the crock pot; however, I found this to be an unnecessarily step just be sure to use very lean meat. I try to use 90% meat or above. 



The chili after all ingredients have been mixed. The recipe as written below will make a mild chili. However, you can adjust the spicyness of the recipe as it cooks by tasting and adding more spice.


Set the crock pot to low and cook for 8 - 10 hours. Stir occasionally.


Enjoy a nice bowl of chili. I always top mine with some melted cheese and enjoy with a few slices of corn bread. I use 2 muffin mix boxes and bake in a bread pan. Yummy.


The leftover chili in the crock pot. The recipe makes around 6 bowl fulls.


Ingredients

2 pounds of ground beef, lean
2 15 oz. cans of kidney beans
2 14.5 oz. cans of whole tomatoes, chopped
4 tablespoons of chili powder
1 whole garlic clove
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1.5 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
0.5 teaspoons of tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 whole onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup of water

No comments:

Post a Comment