Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crock Pot Jambalaya

I always have liked crock pot recipes due to their simplicity and low hands on time. However, this recipe took a little extra time due to the fact of all the cutting that was required before cooking. But once it was ready to be eat it was very yummy and didn't require you to sit over a hot stove top for hours stirring. This final picture was taken after half of it was already eaten. I was a little hungry.

Here are most of the required ingredients. The full ingredient list is at the bottom of the post with the required amounts.


Here is me making my own cajun spice. I used paprika, red pepper flakes, basil, cumin and salt. You can really use whatever you want or find other cajun spice recipes online. The total volume of this was around 1 tablespoon.


I then added the cajun spice and all remaining spices to the crock pot. I always put spices in first so that the liquid can start to dissolve and mix them. I find this easier then adding them at the end when the pot is really full.


I next put in the chicken broth to start to mix all the spices up.


Next I grabbed 3 fresh garlic cloves. I always leave a garlic or two in the fridge to use whenever such as this recipe.


I then peeled the garlic cloves and diced them. Once diced I tossed the garlic into the crock pot.


Next, I chopped of an entire onion and placed into the crock pot.


Instead of the 3 celery pieces as stated in the recipe I used 4. However, you could use more green pepper instead of the celery or really any vegetable you wanted. I don't have a picture of the green pepper.


Next I diced up 2 pounds of chicken and added them to the ever filling crock pot.


Here's a picture with most of the ingredients added to the crock pot. There are just a few more ingredients to go.


Next to be added is some sausage. I cooked the sausage so that it would stay together in the crock pot. I cut into thin slices though some like it cut into around 2" slices.


Here's the crock pot before starting the 5 hour cooking process on low.



After 5 hours of cooking.


Measure out 1.75 cups of rice and add to crock pot. Use a rice that is fast cooking around 20 minutes.


Next add 1 pound of peeled shrimp. I used frozen ones which worked great as I just had to cut the tails off.


The crock pot when its done.


The crock pot when a few bowls of the delicious jambalaya has been eaten. Yummy.


Recipe

2 lbs of chicken breasts, cubed
1 lb of smoked sausage
1 onion
1 green pepper
3 whole pieces of celery, chopped
28 oz. of canned diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
2 cups of chicken broth
1 Tablespoon of cajun spice
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 pounds of shrimp
1.75 cups of rice

Combine all ingredients except rice and shrimp and cook on low for 5 hours. Add rice and shrimp and cook for an additional 30 minutes on high.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Will have to try this one, too! hope you had some French bread to sop up the extra sauce with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished up the last bit of it a few days ago, but had some hearth bread which worked great.

    ReplyDelete