Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Double Layer Chocolate Cake

I know it has been forever since I posted something to the blog due to me graduating college and all, but hopefully the wait was worth it for this great recipe. I have made it on two separate occasions and each time even non cake loved told me how good it was. Hopefully it will be a hit for you as well. This recipe was very nice to make with someone special as I had my girlfriend lend me a hand. 


Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. 


The mixed ingredients.


Add milk, eggs, oil and vanilla to the mix. Mix for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water.


The mixture at the point will be very, very thin. This is normal.


Pour into 2 9" greased and floured round cake pans. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes at 350F.


The cakes after baking, in this picture they look darker than they actually are. Use a toothpick or cake tester to test if the cake is cooked all the way through.


Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan then transfer to wire racks. Allow to cool completely.


When the cakes are almost cool, continue on to make the frosting. Melt butter and add to bowl. I know the picture looks like egg yolk, but it is in fact butter.


Stir in cocoa powder.


Measure out Confectioner's sugar and milk. Alternately add them while mixing. Add more milk if needed to get to the right spreading consistency. Once the consistency is correct, pour in the vanilla.


The finished frosting.


Once the cakes are cool, place on whatever serving surface you are going to use to serve the cake with. In this case I used a dinner plate. Frost the top of the cake and place the second layer on top. Frost all sides.


The finished cake. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I did.



Ingredients

Cake

2 cups of sugar
1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 coups of cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 cup of boiling water


Frosting

1/2 cup of butter, melted
2/3 cup of cocoa powder
3 cups of confectioners sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Cooking Items Used

No comments:

Post a Comment