Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Ravioli



I've always wanted to try to make my own pasta and once making my own linguine without the use of a pasta machine and really enjoyed it, I purchased a few supplies including a pasta machine to help me roll out the dough. This was made on prior week but didn't have time to post it to the blog. Also sorry for the lack of photos. If you need anything in more detail just post a comment.
First off a dough needs to be made which can be rolled out into sheets. I don't have any pictures of this process but could post a tutorial on how to do this if there is interest.

The pasta dough ingredients are as follows:
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
These are mixed and kneaded together until the consistency of dough is formed. 

The filling which is placed into the ravioli uses the following ingredients

  • 9 large garlic cloves (soften by baking at 325 F after tossing with oil, cool before using)
  • 2 teaspoons of olive oil
  • 12 tablespoons of feta cheese
  • 12 tablespoons of
  • canned spinach
Directions:
Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl ensuring everything is thoroughly mixed. Once mixed, the filling is placed using 3/4 teaspoons at a time for each ravioli. You can use a ravioli pin to make lots of raviolis quickly or you can place the filling between two rolled sheets of pasta dough and cut with a pastry cutter into any shape that is desired. Once cut they need to dry before boiling. Once sites say that you want to dry them for an hour, but I dried them for about 4 hours and they turned out fine. I boiled them for about 12 minutes to get a nice firm  ravioli and you could boil them longer for a softer pasta. 

Thoughts:
I really enjoyed having fresh  raviolis and fresh bread as a nice romantic dinner. It definitely adds a nice touch to enjoy a meal where everything was homemade compared to just cooking frozen ones. It was also nice to have whatever you wanted as the filling. Next time I might try an Italian sausage and cheese filling.


Pictures:

The raviolis after being pressed with the use of a ravioli pin. They are split with a pasta cutter from each other. At this step ensure that each ravioli is pressed together to make sure none open up during boiling. 

I used baking racks to dry the raviolis. This allowed they to dry without the need to flip them.



The ravioli once they have been boiled and drained. 


The finished product served with some slices of my homemade sweet dough. I used the left of ravioli topping  as a bread topping which I baked on the bread by broiling it. I believe the topping would be good as a hot chip dip.





2 comments:

  1. Hey! If you ever want to make spinach fettuccine my mom has the best recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I am always ready to try something new.

    ReplyDelete