Thursday, November 21, 2013

Homemde Pasta Shapes

I know its been forever since I have published anything, but I have a good one in store.

I have really enjoyed creating my own pasta over the past year or so with my KitchenAid pasta press. If you look this up the attachment is far from cheap, but it really the only way you an create extruded type shapes such as rotini, macaronni, etc.





All you need to do is to combine the ingredients in a bowl or mixer. The dough shouldn't form a dough ball as if you were making bread, but fall apart as shown in the picture below. It should be very dry this is normal.



Once you have your dough ready, its time to whip out that attachment and get to work. Below is my typical setup I like to use. I place a towel under the mixer to make cleanup easier and have a pan or two topped with plastic mesh used in needlework. This allows the dough to dry without sticking to anything as well as its cheap.



Below shows the typical look for the press with dough ready to be put down the chute above and pasta being pressed out the bottom.


Dough on the drying racks.





Once all the dough is extruded you need to allow it to dry. Once dry, bring water to salted water to boil. Note: the cooking time of your home made pasta will be less than you are used to. Drain pasta and do not rinse.



Finally toss with some homemade sauce and enjoy. Bon Appetit.



Ingredients

5 oz Semolina Flour (Can be substituted with all purpose though dough will be doughier)
5 oz All Purpose Flour
4 oz Water (Warm)

1 comment: